Luciana and Robert Duvall have helped to raise millions of dollars for organizations serving many American families. Among them is the Texas Rangers Association Foundation which also supports scholarship funding. Thanks to the hard work of the Texas Rangers and Luciana and Robert's participation they raised $600K during the 2011 gala.
“Our Ranger heritage is a large an iconic as our great State. There have been movies made about the Texas Rangers and many actors have attempted to portray us, but none have ever portrayed us better than Robert Duvall (Captain Augustus McCrae) in the great western epic known as “Lonesome Dove”. This year’s Gala was a success solely b...ecause of his generosity and compassion for the Texas Rangers. We are happy to report that our Gala, which supports scholarship funding, raised over $600,000.00. The Texas Rangers are forever indebted to two of the most wonderful people in the film industry today, Robert and Luciana Duvall” (Hank Whitman, Assistant Chief of the Texas Rangers).
For event highlights and more information on this wonderful organization, please visit the Texas Rangers Association Foundation.
Henry and William Evans Home for Children
The Robert Duvall Children's Fund is proud to support the efforts of the Henry and William Evans Home for Children in Winchester, Virginia through the 2011 Lecture Series event.
The Henry and William Evans Home for Children in Winchester, Virginia first opened during the summer of 1949. The Home’s origins can be traced through the family tree of Mrs. Molly Evans Janney, who lived in Winchester from the mid-eighteen hundreds to the mid-nineteen twenties. Mrs. Janney left a small trust fund in the name of her niece, Miss Lillian Evans Sheetz. Mrs. Janney stipulated in her Will that Lillian could use the interest from the trust until her death. If Lillian died without an heir, the trust would be used to establish a Home for abused and otherwise needy children. The Home was to be named after Mrs. Janney's father, Henry Evans, and her uncle, William.
Henry and William Evans probably never anticipated their legacy. Their own history is vague; they arrived in Winchester sometime during the mid-eighteen fifties from an unspecified location out West. Their occupations prior to or during their Winchester residency are not known, but resulted in extensive land holdings and personal wealth. The brothers lived in a large Victorian on North Loudoun Street until their deaths in the late nineteenth century and it was this same house which became the original Henry and William Evans Home for Children in 1949. The three-story facility didn’t lend itself easily to this purpose, so another location had to be developed.
The Home’s board of directors loyally pursued Mrs. Janney’s bequest when they purchased land on which to build a new Home after selling the original property to the Sears and Roebuck Corporation. The colorful Evans Family history includes the tale that Henry and William buried their fortune beneath their house and local folklore inspired much speculation about its possible discovery when Sears, Roebuck and Co. demolished the house for their store’s foundation. The treasure, if real, remains buried to this day beneath the City parking garage currently on the site
The Shockey Company of Winchester finished construction of the current Evans Home in 1952. (Shockey also built additions in the early nineteen sixties, early nineteen eighties, mid nineteen 90's and most recently in 2002.)
Early records of the Home’s children are scarce, however, since 1977 more than three hundred children have called this place home. They are now scattered throughout society, in trade schools and colleges, working in various professions, raising families and contributing to their communities. They are creating their own histories, thanks to the history that became the Henry and William Evans Home for Children.
©Copyright 2013 The Robert Duvall Children's Fund
The Robert Duvall Children's Fund is a nonpartisan organization committed to improving the living conditions of children in Northern Argentina by sponsoring public works projects which include the construction and/or refurbishment of schools and hospitals as well as promoting sustainable microfinance organizations.